Want to work in Canada?

Not everyone needs a work permit to work in Canada. If you are thinking of working in Canada, it is important to know whether you need a work permit, and if so, how you can possibly get one.

Generally speaking, you will require the support of an employer to obtain a work permit to work in Canada. Although we cannot assist with the job hunt, Caron & Partners can help you with all aspects of the immigration requirements. 

Depending on the circumstances, your employer may need to obtain permission to hire a foreign national for a particular position. This is called a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), and requires an employer to demonstrate that there are no Canadians available to fill the vacancy. 

There are also many LMIA-exempt categories under which you may be eligible to get a work permit. These include the International Experience Canada (IEC), International Agreements (eg. NAFTA), or those who can demonstrate a Significant Benefit to Canada. 

Finally, there are a few categories of applicants who qualify for "open" work permits, that are not employer-dependent. Open work permits allow the holder to engage in almost any occupation for any employer across Canada. Individuals who may qualify for such work permits include: spouses of certain foreign workers, some spouses of Canadians during a sponsorship, students who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary program, and those whose permanent residence applications have reached a certain stage of processing.

Contact one of our immigration lawyers to help you navigate your situation and help you work in Canada: