Interested in Visiting Canada?

Canada is a wonderful country to visit. We have included some frequently asked questions on visiting Canada below. If you would like further assistance, please contact one of our immigration lawyers linked below.

Do I need a visa to come to Canada?

Depending on your citizenship, you may need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor's visa before travelling to Canada.   

To find out whether you need an eTA or a visitor's visa, select your country/territory from this list.

How do I obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

Starting March 15, 2016, foreign nationals from visa-exempt nations who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Citizens of the United States and foreign nationals who already possess a valid visa to come to Canada will not require an eTA. The eTA will be valid for up to five years.

eTA applications are made online to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Contact us for assistance on applying for your eTA.

I'm from a country that requires a visitor visa to enter Canada. What should I do?

The type of visa you will need will depend on your situation. You must apply for the correct visa before coming to Canada. If you need assistance to find out which kind of visa you need, contact us. Some of the types of visas we can help you with include:

  • Applying for a tourist (or for a transit) visa
  • Applying as a business visitor
  • Applying for a parent or grandparent super visa

The requirements for your visa application can vary depending on your country of origin, including the requirement for "biometrics" (fingerprints and a photograph).

Typically, visitors are granted entry for a maximum of 6 months (2 years for super visa holders) 

If you need help with your visa application, contact us and we can help you.

Can I extend my stay in Canada as a visitor?

If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you must apply to do so before your current status expires. The application is made inside Canada. You will have "implied status" while you wait for a decision to be made on your extension application as long as you applied before your old status expired.

I have been asked for a Letter of Invitation. What is that?

If a friend or family member wants to visit Canada, they must apply to the Canadian visa office responsible for his or her country or region. A visa officer will review the application and decide whether to issue a visa.

You can help your friend or family member by writing a letter of invitation. It should explain how you will help the person. For example, you may offer to pay for plane tickets or accommodation. A letter of invitation can help, but it does not guarantee the person will get a visa.

Do I need a visa if I am travelling through Canada without stopping or visiting?

If you need a visa to visit Canada, then you will need a transit visa to travel through Canada, even if you are not stopping or visiting. There is no fee for a transit visa. 

If you need an eTA to visit Canada as of March 15, 2016, then you will also need an eTA to transit through Canada.

You may not need a transit visa or an eTA if you are travelling to or from the United States. The Transit Without Visa program (TWOV) and the China Transit Program (CTP) allow certain foreign nationals to transit through Canada on their way to and from the United States without a Canadian transit visa, if they meet certain requirements.