What is Municipal Law and Planning Law?
Municipal Law is a specialized area of law and deals with matters that include:
- The structure and powers of municipalities
- Municipal elections
- Council and council members
- Claims by and against municipalities
Planning Law largely concerns land development. Land development in turn involves such areas as:
- Land use bylaws
- Development and development permits
- Subdivision approval
- Appeals of decisions made by various municipal officers including development officers, licensing personnel, safety officers and bylaw enforcement officers
- Judicial review of planning, and other decisions
We represent several municipalities and municipal boards in and around Calgary. We also assist clients with municipal law and planning issues before municipal bodies and boards, where we do not act for those entities.